Mitigation of environmental degradation and adaptation to global change
The environment in which we live is strongly affected by degradation and many global ecosystem processes are reaching their planetary boundaries.
We develop and apply state-of-the-art knowledge to mitigate current degradation processes in terrestrial ecosystems, such as loss of nutrients (C, N, P), desertification, pollution and eutrophication, and to adapt to the major challenges imposed to ecosystems resulting from global change.
- What are stabilization processes of organic carbon in soils, and what type of organic matter is involved?
- What is the fate of environmental pollutants?
- How can biogeochemical knowledge be applied to manage ecosystems?
- How can system knowledge be used to restore terrestrial biodiversity and landscapes?
- How can we mitigate land degradation and adapt to global change?