Ms S.F. (Silke) van Daalen MSc
Faculty of Science
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
Science Park A
Science Park 904 Room number: C4.163
1090 GE Amsterdam
I am a PhD candidate in Theoretical Ecology and Mathematical Demography in the TCE group in IBED, the University of Amsterdam.
My research focus is on variation in lifetime reproductive output (LRO), more specifically, the underlying causes of this variation. The number of offspring individuals produce over their lifetime is often quite variable within a given population or species, and given that LRO is a proxy for both individual fitness and population growth rate, such variation can be of great consequence to the ecology and evolution of a species. My research is aimed partly at developing models that take into account different sources of variation in the life histories of species, for example, including stochastic processes, individual differences, density-dependence, etc. Another goal of my PhD is to comparatively investigate the contribution of such sources of variation in lifetime reproduction across different species of birds, animals, and plants. To that end, I work with a large database of matrix population models, called COM(P)ADRE. How variation in an important life history trait such as lifetime reproductive output arises is a question with relevance not just in ecology and evolution, but also in demography, wildlife management, and pest and disease control.
- Caswell, H., & van Daalen, S. F. (2017). Lifetime reproductive output: individual stochasticity, variance, and sensitivity analysis. Theoretical Ecology, 10, 355-374. DOI: 10.1007/s12080-017-0335-2
- Caswell, H., & van Daalen, S. F. (2016). A note on the vec operator applied to unbalanced block matrices. Journal of applied mathematics. DOI: 10.1155/2016/4590817
Talk / presentation
- van Daalen, Silke (speaker) (12-12-2016): Sensitivity analysis of the statistics of lifetime reproductive output, British Ecological Society conference Liverpool, , Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- van Daalen, S.F. (speaker) & Caswell, Hal (speaker) (11-2015): The mean, variance, and other statistics of lifetime reproduction implied by the mortality and fertility schedules in developed countries., Dutch Demography Society, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- van Daalen, S.F. (speaker) & Caswell, Hal (speaker) (10-2015): Variation in lifetime reproduction: individual stochasticity and heterogeneity., Evolutionary Demography Society Annual Meeting 2015.
- No ancillary activities