Ms C. (Lotte) de Vries MSc
Faculty of Science
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
Science Park A
Science Park 904 Room number: C4.163
1090 GE Amsterdam
My research focuses on developing mathematical frameworks to incorporate novel kinds of individual information (incorporating different sources of heterogeneity). For example, the first part of my thesis is focused on incorporating some memory into matrix population models (building so called second-order matrix models). The second part of my thesis will be about incorporating simple Mendelian recombination into a matrix population model. Combining the powerful demographic approach of matrix models with Mendelian genetics leads to a model with eco-evolutionary interactions and feedbacks. We apply this model to study genotype coexistence, pesticide resistance and assortative mating. This work is part of Hal Caswell's advanced ERC grant entitled "Individual stochasticity and population heterogeneity in plant and animal demography."
- Caswell, H., de Vries, C., Hartemink, N., Roth, G., & van Daalen, S. F. (2018). Age × stage-classified demographic analysis: a comprehensive approach. Ecological Monographs, 88(4), 560-584. DOI: 10.1002/ecm.1306 [details]
- de Vries, C., & Caswell, H. (2018). Demography when history matters: construction and analysis of second-order matrix population models. Theoretical Ecology, 11(2), 129-140. DOI: 10.1007/s12080-017-0353-0 [details]
- van Bavel, J., Hukkelhoven, C. W. P. M., de Vries, C., Papatsonis, D. N. M., de Vogel, J., Roovers, J-P. W. R., ... de Leeuw, J. W. (2017). The effectiveness of mediolateral episiotomy in preventing obstetric anal sphincter injuries during operative vaginal delivery: a ten-year analysis of a national registry. International Urogynecology Journal. DOI: 10.1007/s00192-017-3422-4
- Goossens, S. M. T. A., Hukkelhoven, C. W. P. M., de Vries, L., Mol, B. W., Nijhuis, J. G., & Roumen, F. J. M. E. (2015). Clinical indicators associated with the mode of twin delivery: an analysis of 22,712 twin pairs. European journal of obstetrics & gynecology and reproductive biology, 195, 133-40. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2015.09.034
Talk / presentation
- de Vries, L. (speaker) (5-4-2017). Combining stage-classified demography and population genetics to study eco-evolutionary dynamics., Modeling Biological Evolution 2017, Leicester, United Kingdom.
- de Vries, L. (speaker) & Caswell, H. (speaker) (15-2-2017). A genetic matrix population model for eco-evolutionary dynamics., Netherlands Annual Ecological Meeting, Lunteren.
- de Vries, C. (speaker) & Caswell, H. (speaker) (10-2015). Demography when history matters: a framework for investigating second-order matrix population models, Evolutionary Demography Society Annual Meeting 2015.
- No ancillary activities